Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Five Bucks

We were at the grocery store looking at watermelons and I was complaining that they were going to be rotten just like the last ones. I decided right there that I wasn't going to buy any more this year. At the same time, I put a crying and squirming Jonah into the shopping cart to keep him from poking all the produce. A man nearby came over and held out five bucks and told me to buy my boy the watermelon. I tried to refuse but then graciously accepted and told him how nice he was. So then I had to pick out a rotten watermelon. But I figured I still had a few dollars to spare....we found these punch balloons and they were a hit with the boys. I thought of the five dollars over the next few shopping trips and somehow thought it could excuse a little water gun or bubbles. It's funny how "free" money can skew perception and tempt me to spend it two or three times over.