Thursday, October 23, 2008



The Kite Runner is a powerful and moving story. I just finished it last night. The themes that connected with me were:

1. Friendship - between two boys

2. Father son relationship - the unquenchable desire for a son to please his father. At the beginning The Kite Runner reminded me of The Chosen. The Chosen is a powerful story of friendship between two boys and it also juxtaposes the relationship of the two boys with their fathers. The Kite Runner turned out to be a completely different kind of novel - very dark and miserable.

3. Compassion (or cruelty). Twice the book alludes to Hitler. It's because he is the most evil example of what can happen when people feel superior to others. Feeling "better than" is the root of the cruelty behind Hitler and behind most of the cruelty in The Kite Runner. But when we think of Hitler, it is too easy to remove ourselves and feel like we have nothing in common with that kind of evil. I believe when we read, The Kite Runner, we are compelled to examine ourselves. Have I ever felt better than someone else? It really doesn't matter the reason. In any situation and for any reason, it is deeply wrong.

4. Freedom - I can't help but feel sooo grateful for America after reading this book. I do believe America has a moral obligation to defend and help others who are suffering under something like the Taliban. To what extent...I don't know. And I don't want this to be too political anyway :).

It was an intense book. Don't know if I would recommend it, but I also can't say I regret reading it.