Saturday, April 19, 2008

Outer Space


Seth and I were talking about numbers and how they go on forever. He likes that numbers can get bigger and bigger on the number line and there is no end. A few minutes later, he made a connection. "Mom, numbers are like the universe because the universe has no end. It keeps going and going." What a wonderful connection. I love this concept of "no end". It's quite spiritual.

On Friday while we were driving to school, Seth asked questions about the sun. He wanted to know why the light from a light bulb doesn't make water evaporate, but the sun does. Obviously, he got this from school. So I talked a little about the heat from the sun. I never feel qualified enough to answer these questions. I'm glad we always have the internet just a click away to get more info. Then he wanted to know how the sun got its heat. Ummm... the big bang or nuclear physics. I don't know. I'm glad he is learning things that encourage him to think and ask questions.

During his outer space unit, Seth came home and told me about Pluto. He said Pluto is a dwarf planet and is going out of our solar system. He then started to cry and said, "I won't be able to explore Pluto." I comforted him and tried not to make my giggles too obvious. I don't know too much about it, but I guess Pluto may be coming back into the solar system anyway and could be made an official planet again.

P.S. I finally looked up Pluto. It's all a definition debate. Seth thought Pluto was literally leaving the solar system. He had me convinced as well! I can't believe how sad he was over it. He was so cute.

Seth is such a big kindergartner. We just received the date for his kindergarten graduation - June 4th. I can't believe how fast it has gone. He told me today that he wanted to look at the Lewis website. So I took his picture and did this post for him. He will LOVE it. I'm getting into this blogging thing. I looked up Aja Eyre and found her blog. It is amazing, of course. I didn't read too much of it, but I could tell she really tries to go with her kids ideas and not hold them back. Her little Ana (6) had this really cool lemonade stand and made some good money. Ana had to pay her parents back for the supplies, pay tithing, and pay some employees (little friends) she had. How cool is that?